Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ladies and gentlemen...

...at long last, we have pee pee in the potty! And there was much rejoicing and celebration throughout the land.

This evening, Darrel had to go out, and I did all the bath and bedtime stuff. When Frank and i came upstairs, I told him to disrobe and put his clothing in the hamper and his diaper in the garbage, which he does every night. I cleaned his rear off, and then we went into the bathroom to start his bath. I turned the water on and said, "Okay, while we're waiting, let's sit on the potty for a minute." He sat there for about two minutes, then he got up and said, "I need to flush." He enjoys flushing the toilet, even when there's nothing in there, so I looked in the bowl, and this time, the water was indeed a bit yellow. Just to be sure, I checked the underside of the potty seat, and it wa sin fact wet! So, I asked, with a big grin on my face, "Did you go pee pee?" he shrugged and nodded and said, "Yeah, I guess so."

I promptly began to celebrate. I congratulated him and told him how proud I was and let him flush. I also told him he could pick a toy out of his prize bucket as soon as he was done with his bath. His face lit up- he's been looking longingly at those little prizes in the bucket for months! I called Darrel and told him, and called my mother in law and left her a message. (After he was in bed, I called my mother...I knew I'd be on the phone with her for a while.) After the bath, Frank picked a prize out, and he took it to bed with him, too. He looked longingly at his Big Prize, a Thomas thing that's sitting on the bathroom counter, and asked if he could have that, and I said, "No, honey, remember? That's for when you use the potty all the time for pee pee and poo poo, and when you wear big boy underwear all the time." He thought it over, and then said, "Okay, Mommy, I'll do that."

While I am not delusional enough to think that it's really going to be that easy, I am thrilled we have a start. Happy belated birthday present to me!! :)

No comments: